Sunday 27 October 2013

The fear of God’s wrath drove me into music —Alawiye-Aluko

Bisi Alawiye-Aluko is a gospel artiste with a difference. In this interview with SEYI SOKOYA, she reveals the reason behind her dumping her accountancy profession, why her husband follows her to all her shows, among other issues. Excerpts: WHAT have has been sustaining your career? The sustainability of my music career is beyond my imagination. Instead of giving instances, I will return all glory to God for making me a vessel unto honour. He has been using me to bless lives through the ministration of songs. My songs have been a source of inspiration in ways that I cannot imagine. What has remained your major challenge? This is what you cannot leave out in the life of any human. But I want to believe that without a cross, there won’t be a crown. Once again I want to thank God for His grace and the sustainability of my life. I know He has a purpose for still keeping me. Though it has not been easy when I came into the limelight; I don’t see every challenge of my life as an end road because He will surely create ways where there is none. Can you recall the reason behind your choice of gospel music? My journey into mainstream gospel music started when I discovered my talent for music at a tender age. The mystery began immediately I finished my secondary school education and got admitted into the polytechnic. The talent surfaced and I found my way into a studio where I waxed an album entitled “La’na Komi”. We gave it to a marketer. The song was a hit and it was beyond my imagination. I never believed I would end up as a musician. I just obeyed the directives of God back then. Meanwhile, I studied accountancy at the tertiary level, but I don’t think I would have gone as far as I have done in music if I had settled down in the accountancy profession. Can you recall the exact turning point that made you realise you possess the gift of music? I was shocked in an encounter that I had at Ile-Ife where I was singing during a thanksgiving service at a church. A man walked up to me and called my name in the presence of the congregation. He said, “Bisi, you have refused to obey and heed my words. If this people perish as a result of your disobedience, you will also perish with them.” That statement really struck my heart. How successful are you as a gospel musician? As I said earlier, I thank God for whatever I am today and I am contented with whatever I am or have today. I will be foolish if I start flaunting all assets that vanish within a twinkle of an eye. I am comfortable with what I have. What aspect of gospel music do you sing? I sing pure and undiluted gospel music. I agree with you that there are different types of gospel music today, but I am not to judge or select which should be and which should not. Whatever is not Biblical cannot pass as gospel music. How have you been able to combine your home front and music? I have been able to achieve this through divine wisdom coupled with a good and sound driving force. My home has always been awesome. My husband and I do things together; we are always together wherever I go, especially to perform. It might be strange; but to me, I derive joy in it because he believes in my vision and always guides me. Don’t you think you are lagging behind as a gospel musician because you reside in Akure? The popular belief that one will lag behind if not in the cities, especially Lagos State, is a fallacy. God is not interested in one’s location or jurisdiction to make one shine or excel in life. Despite the fact that I reside in Akure, music has taken me beyond the shores of this country. I have been to Europe to minister. At the moment, I am making arrangement to go to America. What is your take on the state of gospel music in Nigeria? The fact remains that no matter how gospel music is blended into other things, you cannot compare the adulterated with the original. We have a lot of pure and evergreen songs that never go into extinction; take a look at Baba Ayewa’s popular songs, Baba Ojo Ade, Chief Ebenezer Obey, Bola Are among others are typical examples of icons that produce songs that cannot go into extinction. This is the school of thought that I belong to. I believe originality will remain forever. So, you agree that the industry is unclean? No, not in that context. The entire earth is even corrupt. The industry and all other sectors are inclusive. The fact remains that whether we want it or not, we need the entire entertainment industry to be purged and it is when the bad eggs are removed that we can enjoy God.

No comments:

Post a Comment